SEND Information Report

Maria McLelland

Maria McLelland


We are very proud of our school as we are fully inclusive and manage the needs of all our children, whether with support or by extending their learning with challenge. We have Dyslexia Friendly Status and consider our learning environments very carefully.

Our SEND policy meets the new requirements for SEND in line with the new SEND Code of Practice effective from 1 September 2014. Our school has co-produced our SEND policy with families, children and young people. It can be viewed on our policy page.

Our SENCo is Mrs Maria McLelland and she can be contacted through the school office.

Further information regarding SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) can be found on the Somerset Choices website

On this page you will be able to read details of our local offer by clicking on any of the questions.

Also see: New Special Educational Needs Code of Practice Leaflet


Children who have a learning difficulty may find it harder to learn than the majority of children of the s​ame age, or they may have ​a disability which prevents or hinders them from taking full advantage of the education provided for other children.

What is a learning difficulty?
Children who have a learning difficulty may find it harder to learn than the majority of children of the s​ame age, or they may have ​a disability which prevents or hinders them from taking full advantage of the education provided for other children.

What might my child’s learning difficulty cause problems with?

  • ​Reading, writing or number work
  • Expressing themselves or understanding information
  • Making friends or relating to adults
  • Social or emotional development or mental health
  • Personal organisation
  • Tasks or activities which depend on sensory or physical skills

The SEN code of practice is the guidance that schools must follow. It states that there are four main areas of special need. These are:

  • Cognition and learning
  • Emotional and social development and mental health and well being
  • Communication and interaction
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

How do we identify SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities)?

When children have identified SEND before they start here, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available t​o identify what their SEND will be in our school setting and how we can manage it.

If you tell us you think your child has a SEND we will discuss this with you and look into it. We will share what we discover with you and agree what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.

If our staff think that your child has a SEND this may be because they are not making the same progress as other children. For example, they may not be able to follow instructions or answer questions. We will observe them, assess their   understanding of what we are doing in school and sue tests to find out what is causing the difficulty. Should we require further help, we will contact the SEND Support Services Team from the Local Authority.

How do we involve children and their parent /carers in identifying Special Educational Needs and planning to meet them?

We are a child and family centered school, so you will be involved in all decision making about your child’s support.

When we assess SEND we discuss it with you to determine whether your child’s understanding and behaviour are the same at school and home. We take this into account and work with you so that we are all helping your child in the same way to make progress.

We write and review SEN Support Plans termly for children who are identified with SEN, with appropriate goals and with children and parent carers.

How do we involve children and their parent carers in identifying Special Educational Needs and planning to meet them?

How do we adapt the curriculum so that we meet SEND?

All our staff are trained to make lessons easier or more challenging so that every child is able to learn at their own pace and in their own way. We will make or provide any additional resources required.

We use additional materials/ interventions so that we have something at the right level for children with SEND. We use Rapid Readers, Code X, Clicker 6 for reading;  Letters and Sounds, Rapid Writers, Hornet and Toe by Toe for writing; Numicon and Wave 3 materials for maths; Talking Partners for communication and social; small group SEAL work for personal and  social work.

How do we modify teaching approaches?

All our staff are trained so that we are able to adapt to a range of SEND – specific learning difficulties, including dyslexia and emotional and social difficulties.

We are a dyslexia friendly school.

When teaching we use different approaches to learning: these are visual, aural and kinaesthetic methods.

Staff receive training in delivering Clicker 6, Integrated Literacy Intervention, Talking Partners, Code X and the Rapid programmes.

How do we assess pupil progress towards the targeted outcomes and how do we review this progress?

We use P scales to assess progress in smaller steps and at a slower pace than the National Curriculum.

We use our staff Professional Development Meetings to moderate writing termly in both classes to check that our judgements are correct.

We track our children in Reading, Writing, Maths, Science and RE to check that progress is good.

We constantly assess in lessons to check how well a child understands.

At the end of each term, teachers and the Head teacher meet to assess attainment and progress in a Pupil Progress Meeting.

For children at SA+ (Element 2), parents are invited to review their child’s progress annually as well as having update meetings with teachers every term.

For children at SA (Element 1), parents discuss their child’s progress at the termly meeting with teachers.

Children at Element 3, statement, have a review each term with parents.

What equipment or resources do we use to give extra support?

We use visual timetables, ICT programmes, laptops.

We deliver Speech and Language programmes provided by the Speech Therapy service. Therapists model the delivery for our staff who then use the programme. Progress is assessed by us and the Speech Therapist.

We use Learnpads as well as other ICT equipment to support specific needs.

We use a range of software to help children to engage in subjects they find difficult. This helps children to become independent learners.

Any specific physical requirements will be assessed individually and equipment provided to meet those needs through the Local Authority SEND service.

What extra support do we bring in to meet SEND?

We have support from specialist teachers  and the area SENCo for the extra work on SEND related needs.

We get support from other Local Authority services – Educational Psychologists, Speech Therapy and CAMHS – and we work collaboratively with other schools in the Crewkerne and Ilminster Schools Partnership.

We get support from Occupational Therapy.

We get support from Physiotherapy if a child has a need for any physical intervention.

We get support from the School Nurse service for children with specific medical needs.

We review all targets at a Assess, Plan, Do, Review meeting . This helps to make teaching more effective to support learning. New targets will be discussed and a date set for the next review meeting. Targets should make a difference and reviewing them will show us what to do next. This is recorded to provide evidence for accountability.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children with SEND?

We have a number of after school activities open to all children and one activity at least each day. Should a child need support to access any activity, the school will arrange that.

We have a breakfast club – Early Risers- which is open from 8.00am and is available to all children.

We have regular educational visits as well as people coming into school to support different subject areas. We usually have a residential visit to Kilve Court for our Year 4 children. All children, including those with SEND,  are included in these.

How do we support children when they join our school and their transition to another school?

Children entering Haselbury Plucknett First School have 3 opportunities to spend time in their new classroom in the term preceding their start. A child who would need more visits in order to be comfortable in their surroundings, would have them arranged by the Early Years Coordinator.

The Early Years Coordinator receives information from Pre-school placements so that the school is aware of any additional needs.

When children leave to go to their next school at the end of Year 4, transitional visits are made both from and to the receiving Middle school. The SENCo from both schools meet to discuss those children with SEND.

How does the SEND funding work?

Schools receive funding for all children, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and those needs are met from this. If the cost of meeting  an individual’s needs is more than £6000 a year, the Local Authority may contribute more funds.

If an assessment of a child’s needs identifies something that is significantly different to what is usually available, there will be additional funding available. Parents have a say in how this is used. You will be told if this means you have a personal budget, which is sued to fund the agreed plan.

Where can children ask for help or extra support?

The class teacher is a good starting point.

Mrs McLelland acts as SENCo and will be very happy to listen to your concerns and to know that you are satisfied with what happens in school to support your child.

Where can parents/carers ask for help or extra support?

We have a Parent Family Support Worker attached to our school.

Somerset’s Parent Carer forum  is an umbrella organisation for all parents and carers of children and young people with SEND, disabilities and complex medical needs. They work with Somerset Local Authority, education, health and other professionals and agencies to ensure that delivered services meet the needs of children and their families.

What to do if you are not satisfied with a decision or what is happening?

Your first point of contact is your child’s class teacher . explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed, speak to the Head teacher then ask for a school Governor representative.

If you do not feel that your issues have been resolved, we will arrange for you to meet with the Chair of Governors, who can be contacted via the school.

Further impartial advice can be found through contacting the Somerset Parent Partnership on 01823 355578 or at or through visiting their website at


You are the person who knows your child best and has the most influence on their development. You could try to –

  • Share books with each other
  • Talk and listen to each other
  • Involve them in family activities and encourage them to take responsibility for doing certain jobs around the house
  • Play games that help develop good social relationships and self confidence.

Remember to be realistic with your expectations of your child. It is very important that you encourage and praise your child for what they can achieve.

You can also help your child by working as a partner in their education. For example you should try to:

  • Keep in regular contact with the school and discuss how to support your child’s learning
  • Always contact the school if you have any concerns or questions about your child’s education
  • Ask for an explanation if you are unsure about what people are saying
  • Attend parents evenings, concerts, performances whenever possible to let your child know that you are interested in what they are doing at school
  • Share all the relevant information with your child’s school and other professionals involved

Haselbury Plucknett Church of England First School

SENCo: Mrs M  McLelland

Tel: 01460 72833