The Governors of Merriott First School and Haselbury Church of England Plucknett First School voted to Federate during Summer 2017 and a new joint governing board across both schools was formed on the 26th June 2017. Both schools in the academic year 2016/2017 were already working in close collaboration led by Mr Smith, Executive Headteacher.
Whilst maintaining the ethos and distinctiveness of each school, the federation will allow the efficient sharing of expertise and systems to improve outcomes for all pupils across both schools. These include:
- Giving our children greater opportunities to learn together with other first school pupils from a neighbouring village.
- Teachers being able to collaborate closely to share good practice and expertise with the purpose of improving teaching further in both schools.
- Sharing of staff development and training opportunities in order that the schools continue to improve in the key areas such as Mathematics and English teaching.
- Sharing resources so that budgets can go further and can be focused on pupil learning.
The Schools Governing Body is made up of the following representatives:
- One governor appointed by the Local Authority
- Two parent governors
- One Headteacher
- Two staff governor
- Four co-opted governors
- Two Foundation Governors
The governors meet at least nine times a year and all business is completed in these meetings. They receive reports from the Headteacher concerning relevant school matters and discuss various topics relating to the efficient running of the School. There is also a Finance Strategy Group which reports to the FGB about financial matters.